Monday, September 29, 2008

To the markets we go

Sydney has a vibrant thriving system of markets, where artisans and farmers sell their wares and produce. And they are fun, with musicians playing, kids running around and adults spending lazy days.

My sister and I went this past weekend to the Glebe markets. Glebe is a suburb just west of the CBD - the Central Business District - or "the city." It is close to the university and the water, and has lovely old Victorian homes and a park where the markets are set up every Saturday.

We stopped at the very first stall, at the belt man. My sister already has a few belts from the belt man. I now have one too. He cuts them for you right there on the spot with his handy tools. My sister got the second great shopping deal by having me around. (The first great deal was when we went sunglass shopping last weekend. Again, because I spent $$, she was offered a discount. She is liking me being around. She even said so.) Because I was buying a belt, he threw in 3 free leather wrist bands. We decided to split the winnings and I now have a red leather wrist band that looks very like something Linda Carter might wear. My belt is a beautiful wide black strip of leather with fine tooling to create a design in light beige.

After the intense selection and negotiation process, we were hungry and got some food - I opted for vegetarian salads of lentil, pasta and greek varieties. My sister got a yummy Turkish sandwich called "gozleme", bread filled with feta cheese, spinach, chilli and meat if you want. We sat on the grass, listening to the band and people watching.

Sauntering after our tummy's were full, we found earrings and plants and clothes and many watch fobs.

And for the final act, my sister purchased a beautiful gold plated chain that is costume jewelry from where, but the States!

No comments: